Monday, November 11, 2013

Mother Teresa: That gal totally gets me.

WCK's school is doing a fundraiser selling religious gift-y items. I ordered a framed quote from Mother Teresa to hang on the wall. I'm not really one to go about purchasing framed quotes from Mother Teresa to hang on the wall (this is, in fact, my first one), but I just thought it was nice. Today, as I was loading groceries into the car, I figured out why.

You know how, when you're a stay-at-home mom, people constantly ask you, "What do you DO all day?" (If you don't know that this happens, you're not a stay-at-home mom.) I always wonder why it is OK to ask stay-at-home moms this. You don't ask this question of someone with a "real job", and then listen attentively as they describe downloading the blah blah blah reports to get the numbers on the blah blah blah account.

Anyway.

So, I spend my days answering questions from people about what I do all day, reading blogs written by other stay-at-home moms who complain bitterly about how people are constantly asking them what they do all day, and this. THIS is what I do:


I do small things. Many, many, many small things. They're things nobody notices while I'm doing them, but if I suddenly quit, my husband and child would be out in the back yard in dirty, ragged clothing, hunting moles for food, all the while having absolutely no idea that WCK needs a poodle skirt costume for her Christmas program.

I can't allow this to happen. Think of the moles. That's why I'm glad Mother Teresa finally has my back.


4 comments:

Nancy Brookhart said...

I never thought of it that way. You are an environmentalist, to boot!

Emily said...

When I worked part time, people would comment about the days I wasn't in the office- "Oh, it must be nice to have those extra days off." I would tell them "The days I come in to the office are my easy days- let me tell you, I am way more tired at the end of a day being a mom than I am at the end of a day being an engineer."

Lovey said...

Great essay! I taught elementary school for 38 years and cringed every time someone said, "Oh, you must have so much fun playing with the kids all day!" Lovey

Shana said...

I work part-time now, and there is no way to fit 5 days of stay-at-home mom into 2 days of part-time stay-at-home mom. There are way to many small things to do with great love. Like the 87 errands I spent half a tank of gas running today. Sheesh.