Friday, December 07, 2012

Hero cat?

Garland, our cat, is going to be 16 in a few months, which is pretty old for a cat. She's always eaten dry cat food, but our vet recently suggested offering her some canned food "just to see if she likes it." The vet's theory is that it's good for older cats to have canned food, because it's easier to chew and helps keep the cats hydrated, and if they ever need medicine, it's easy to sneak in there.

I dutifully went out and bought the canned food, and now I'm finding it hilarious that we had to "see if she likes it." Saying Garland loves the canned food is not strong enough of a statement. The canned food is the best thing to ever happen to Garland. Were it legal, Garland would marry the canned food and settle down and give birth to a litter of baby canned food. We are going to have to send her to a canned food rehabilitation clinic, but I know she'll fall off the wagon the second she gets out.

Garland gets the canned food every morning when I wake up. My alarm goes off at 6:15, so Garland starts walking on my face and meowing and precisely 6:14 every morning. You think I exaggerate. Today, Jay woke up around 5 a.m. to go running. I woke up for a minute and then fell back asleep. Before I knew it, Garland was walking on my face and meowing. I rolled over and looked at the clock, and ... the electricity had gone out! Panicked, I ran to my iPhone to check the time and saw that it was exactly .... 6:14.

Well done, Garland. Well done.

I want to call her a hero cat, but I don't think I can. While I think a dog would have sensed somehow that the electricity was out and heroically woken his/her owner, I know Garland was only thinking of the food. Thankfully, she still received her food on time, which is the important thing here.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Are you sure she isn't wearing a small digital watch? Love those kitties!!!