Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Beating the odds

Wow, I love all of the comments I've been getting. It's been great finding out who is reading my blog. Keep them coming!

I wish this post had matched up with my 1,000th post, but I missed it by just one day. Today is my seven-year cancer-versary. I know that statistics on the Internet mean nothing, but I still think about them all the time. I feel happy when they're in my favor and terrified when they're not. All of you myeloma folks know what I mean. When I was diagnosed, the average life expectancy for myeloma patients was three years. When I hit my three-year anniversary, I was all, "Woo! I've beaten the odds!" Shortly after that, "they" raised the average life expectancy to seven years. ("They" refers to the people who write the scientific-y articles on the Internet that get us all riled up.) OK, fine. Of course, this was excellent news, but now I was back to being average instead of odds-beating. I'd just have to hang on for four more years before I could beat the odds again. I was getting ready to celebrate beating the odds again today, but I did some Googling and found that "they" have now raised it to eight years.

Really, scientific people? Right at my seven-year anniversary, you raise it to eight years? This is just like the book Catch-22, where they (a different "they") keep raising the number of missions a pilot needs to fly before he can get out of the military. At this rate, I am never going to beat the odds. I will have this disease for 70 years, and then they'll raise the life expectancy to 71 years. I'll die at age 100 when I get run over by a church van, and everyone will be all, "Oh, too bad she never managed to beat the odds." I can just feel it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the odds get better and better. :)

Mike's 5 Years was Tuesday, which we celebrated with restarting chemo, but it sure beats the alternative!

Karen's mom said...

Well, if you can't beat them, join them. it's half marathon runners like you that keep raising the bar. keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Karen ,You will always beat the odds by far, please read this article by Stephen Gould entitled
"The median is not the message", June is my 7 yr from stage 4 Pca,they gave me a year.

http://people.umass.edu/biep540w/pdf/Stephen%20Jay%20Gould.pdf

Dan J

Anonymous said...

I should have posted this about Stephen Gould from previous post,
Dan

Born in 1941, Stephen Jay Gould was a geologist, zoologist, paleontologist and evolutionary biologist at Harvard. He was also one of the most noted, prolific and best-selling scientific writers of our day. He was diagnosed in 1982 with abdominal mesothelioma, a rare and very deadly form of cancer associated with exposure to asbestos. This is his story. It was first published in Discover magazine in June 1985 and was reprinted here at Phoenix5 with his kind permission. He beat the cancer for 20 years, finally passing on May 20, 2002, giving all of us a valuable lesson in beating the odds.