Saturday, July 21, 2012

Things that make you go, 'Hmm.'

So, my M-spike had been slowly going down for months and months, and in June it hit an all-time low of 1.3. Then on July 9, it bounced up to 1.7. OK, OK, OK. Not a big deal. It's going to be fine. FINE. It's a lab glitch. Just ignore it. Then when I went to Mayo this week, it was up to 1.9. The first thing Dr. L said was, "Now that makes me go, 'Hmmm.'"

You never want your oncologist to go "Hmmm."

After we talked it over for a little while, though, I explained that my M-spike is always higher at Mayo than it is in Kansas City. (It's true. I looked it up on my blog later for confirmation. Thank you, blog.) Dr. L said that makes a lot of sense, since the lab at Mayo is much more sensitive than your regular, run-of-the-mill, built out of plywood in 1889 non-Mayo labs. She agreed that 1.9 at Mayo could be 1.7 (or lower) back in Kansas City. So she stopped going "Hmmm" and came around to the idea that it's not a big deal and it's going to be fine. FINE.

And she told me what nearly every doctor has told me since the beginning: "We don't look at one number. We look at trends."

I know, I know. But having a complete heart attack over one number is just what I do. I'm good at it. It's my thing. I could win an award.

So. I just need to wait a couple weeks until I get tested again in Kansas City to see if it's gone up again from 1.7. And if it's gone up a teeny bit, I need to wait until the next month's test to see if it's gone up again. That's one of the 786,421,932 annoying things about myeloma: You have to wait around to see the trends.

In the meantime, we can all look at this photo until we feel better. And by "we", I mean "me". He looks like he's casting a magical spell over the cancer cells. It's like bad medicine, cancer cells. Bad medicine.



If you're new to the blog and don't understand the Bon Jovi photo, you can click here for an explanation. Or you can just sit here and look at the photo.

4 comments:

Stephen Greene said...

Well, CG, no typical male response like, "don't worry, you'll be fine," from this guy. I should have learned before the marriage when down in flames that we men have few real answers and our ability to fix things is as rare. Better late than never.

It is torture waiting for the next test. I've heard the same from my doctors and np's at the Dana Farber in Boston concerning the importance of trend. And, they have been right especially with the low activity that characterizes your mm, much like my case has been.

Nevertheless, it's good you have such a special family for loving support and to keep you busy.

Peace and Blessings...

Sandy said...

Let's intend that your numbers drop in KC because Bon Jovi is busy whacking all those evil MM cells and you are indeed FINE, pulling in healing energy from your Highest Light... for the highest and best good of all concerned. So be it. and So it is!

Anonymous said...

Just curious: Are you on any medications, such as daily, low dose revlimid?

Leslie in Little Rock said...

I love this blog and I love this entry! I just now found your blog through a link in an email from the Erma Bombeck Writer's Workshop. We seem to have a lot in common - I am a 11 year cancer survivor with two teenage daughters and I started a blog last September. And I am obsessed (no, make that a big fan) of Darren Criss of the TV Show Glee. So his pictures appear in a lot of my blog entries as well.

My life changed forever on May 10 when my husband Stewart died suddenly. So it's been kind of hard to write about movie reviews and Glee when I have a deceased husband and two girls to raise now on my own.

But slowly I've found my way to writing. And I feel lucky that I found your blog today and actually laughed reading it!