Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sad news

I haven't blogged in a while because a sad thing happened. I knew I needed to blog about the sad thing, but blogging about it would mean that it really happened, so I didn't want to. But I guess I have to.

A few weeks ago, fellow myeloma blogger Paula Kilgallon passed away from her disease. I'd never met her in person -- she lived in the UK -- but I felt like I knew her through her blog and her comments on mine. She liked to make fun of me for my NKOTB obsession, which I appreciated, because, well, somebody had to do it. She was sweet and funny and only 42 years old, and she was the creator of the adorable Myeloma Buddies:


I think probably every myeloma patient I've "met" online ordered at least one of these buddies for their kids or grandkids. Paula made them by hand, and the proceeds went toward myeloma research. When I ordered four of them for WCK, my nieces and nephew, Paula added a free "bonus buddy" just for me. It was a Dorothy Buddy with ruby slippers. I couldn't believe it. Here's a photo of Dorothy Buddy with some deep-dish pizza when I went to the ASCO Conference in Chicago:


Anyway, my Dorothy Buddy has always had a home on my nightstand, right next to my bed. I'll think of Paula every time I look at DB. I know all the other myeloma buddies who have found homes all over the world will continue to make their "owners" think of Paula on a regular basis, too. She will be missed.

3 comments:

Karen's mom said...

I am so VERY SORRY to hear that Paula has died. You wrote a ver sweet tribute to her. Has there been any talk of someone or a group continuing to make her Buddies?

Linda said...

Wonderful tribute to Paula who we will all miss terribly. Thankful we have our Buddies to hold on to! Will be including your pictures in a collage for Bernard!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for sharing your adventures with Paula. I absolutely love your Dorothy Buddy. She looks just perfect standing there on the table and now you have a tiny piece of the magical Paula with you! Just click your heels three times....