Monday, November 29, 2010

Don't worry. Be happy.

A few days ago, I saw a woman wearing a shirt that said, "Don't worry, be happy." I spent the next several minutes mentally correcting the punctuation. In my perfect punctuation world, the shirt would have said, "Don't worry. Be happy." I also would have accepted "Don't worry; be happy", but a semi-colon seemed just a little too formal in this situation. Then I pondered "Don't worry: Be happy", but I wasn't sure. I think it would be best to go with the period. "Don't worry! Be happy!" seemed a little hyper.

Then I realized I wasn't taking the shirt's advice, because I was worrying about it. Then I realized that worrying about punctuation makes me happy. What to do? What to do?

Really, I should have been worrying about something else entirely, such as how this woman managed to gain access to a time machine and transport herself back to 1988 to purchase the shirt in the first place.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Oh Karen, you are a woman after my own heart. I too fixate on writing errors in the world. In fact, I blogged on the very subject: http://followtinasjourney.blogspot.com/2010/05/grammar-geeks.html.

Grammar geeks of the world unite!

Sandy said...

I'm a Grammar Granny and struggle with my addiction of wanting to correct various signage and writing errors as well.... is there a group I can join?

Just kidding about the group, but glad to know I'm not alone!