Monday, September 14, 2009

I ran a 5k!

I've walked several 5ks before, but this was the first time I actually ran one. It's also the first time I've ever participated in a race that raised money for a disease that I personally have:



The race was held in Pittsfield, Illinois, which is just 30 minutes from where my sister lives. She found out that this race was going on, and it just happened to be right around my niece's birthday, so we made it into a family weekend. Jay, WCK, my sister, my brother-in-law, my niece, my parents, and my brother-in-law's dad all participated in the race. It was a beautiful course that went around a lake, and I was amazed by how many people showed up. I got to talk to the race organizer for a few minutes afterward. She also goes to the Mayo Clinic and has had myeloma for nine years. She pointed out a man who is also a myeloma patient at Mayo, and -- listen up, everyone who has been given the "you have three years to live" speech -- he was diagnosed in 1990. That's nearly twenty years ago, people!

There were a few brief moments before I crossed the finish line where I thought I was going to throw up, but I did not throw up. I crossed the finish line triumphantly. See? Absolutely anything is possible.

8 comments:

John said...

Way to go Karen!

Yes, anything is possible...

Sandy said...

Congratulations!! It is truly life-affirming to set a goal and achieve it, especially one like this. Good on you!!

Karen's mom said...

So proud of both you and your sister for RUNNING in the race. Hope we can do it again some time.

Karen's Sister said...

Karen, did you see the race I put up on Facebook... the one in Columbia where you dress up in a costume and run through the woods with zombies and chainsaw killers chasing you? Talk about motivation!

Susie Hemingway said...

Oh well done you - what a goal to achieve. You must be so very proud of yourself. Wishing you everythng good.

Cassie said...

Great job!

gesvol said...

That is awesome! Congratulations!

I am running my first 5k in a little over 3 weeks. It is also to raise money for a disease (breast cancer)that unfortunately too many others are inflected with. (My aunt died of lung cancer, and I know what she had to go through. Cancers of all kinds are just nasty business and I can't wait for the day people smarter than me figure out a way to beat them all.)

Anyway, that is quite the accomplishment! The difference between you and me, I will probably throw up! But you never know, as you said, anything is possible. ;)

Lael said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What a huge deal!