Saturday, February 02, 2008

Good mornin', my darlin', to you!

It's nearly 3 a.m. It's the Dex. I'm up.

Judy Garland and Gene Kelly each sang this song (in two seperate movies), and now I can't get it out of my head. It should be my Dex theme song:

Good mornin', good mornin'!
We've danced the whole night through,
good mornin', good mornin' to you.

Good mornin', good mornin'!
It's great to stay up late,
good mornin', good mornin' to you.

When the band began to play
the sun was shinin' bright.
Now the milkman's on his way,
it's too late to say goodnight.

So, good mornin', good mornin'!
Sunbeams will soon smile through,
good mornin', my darlin', to you.

Good morning, it's a lovely morning.
Good morning, what a wonderful day.
We danced the whole night through.
Good morning, good morning to you.

I said good morning, see the sun is shinin'.
Good morning, hear the birdies sing.
It's great to stay up late.
Good mornin', good mornin' to you.

When the band began to play,the stars were shinin' bright.
Now the milkman's on his way,it's too late to say goodnight.

Good morning, good morning!
Sunbeams will soon smile through.
Good mornin', good morning',
Good mornin', my darlin', to you!

Here's the bizarre thing about the Dex. It wakes me up prematurely (it used to be around 6 a.m., then it was around 4 a.m. .... tonight it is 2 a.m. Lovely. I remember when I thought the 6 a.m. wakeups were so bad. What I wouldn't give to SLEEP IN until 6 a.m. on a Saturday now), and when I wake up, I always have a caffeine headache. Why? I have NO IDEA. I still have my normal amount of caffeine during the day on Dex days (that's, like, one Diet Coke and maybe a cup of tea), so I'm not deprived. A lot of the time, if I get up and drink a Diet Coke, the headache goes away instantly, and I'm often able to get a little bit more sleep.

Right before I started taking Dex, I was told by a lot of people that I'd be "wired", that I'd want to re-wallpaper the house and fix the roof all night. I thought, well, maybe I could finally get some scrapbooking done or maybe even some closet cleaning. It's not like that for me at all, though. I don't ever feel "wired". It's more like exhaustion with the inability to sleep. Even though I'm up, I still just sort of want to sit/lie around. And back when I first started on 40 mg, I handled it much better than I do now, even though I'm down to just 12 mg. It's been 8 full cycles of this stuff now, though. I guess my body is getting tired of this stuff.

I'm not trying to complain (well, OK, yes I am). Mostly, though, I'm posting this for anyone else who might be on Dex or about to start Dex, just to share what's happening to me. Sort of a support group thing. Maybe it's happened to someone else. Maybe someone else is seeing this at 2 a.m. and saying, "So THAT'S what that headache is!", and running to get a Diet Coke and then going back to bed and having a slightly better day tomorrow than they usually would have had. Also because it's nearly 3 a.m. and I don't have anything else to do.

I know Rev/Dex is a really easy regimen compared to treatments for a most other kinds of cancer. No chemo. No throwing up. No going bald. No pain. No big surgeries or radiation treatments. Five-ish days a week I feel COMPLETELY NORMAL -- I actually feel really good -- and I can do anything I want. I'm lucky in that way. It does have its tough moments, though. This is a tough moment.

I have no idea why this works, but I just finished my Diet Coke, and the headache is gone. I'm going back to bed. Good night ... or good morning, I guess.

2 comments:

ppl said...

Hopefully you can take a bit of a nap today. (Impossible with a 2 year old?) I have my Mayo appointment this Monday - starting rev/dex has been the topic the last few months - I am hoping to continue it as a "topic" as long as possible. Thank you for your insight into how the dex affects you. It is very helpful - you were productive at 3 a.m.

tim's wife said...

It's quite possible you have a
vascular headache and the caffeine
reverses the process. Vasodilation
and vasoconstriction can cause throbbing headaches. For migrainers, it's the dilation that
causes the pain and meds that constrict the vessels lessen it.