Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thomas, he's the cheeky one ...

First off, let's review last night's American Idol, which was filmed in the town where I was born: Contrary to what was portrayed on the show, Omaha is not one giant corn field. It does have one or two tall buildings that just happen to be surrounded by corn fields. Plus, that crazy goth woman was from Council Bluffs, Iowa, the town where I grew up. For as long as I can remember, Council Bluffs has been struggling to prove to the world that it's not just a bunch of crazy people who live next to Omaha. I think that is the official town motto: "Not Just a Bunch of Crazy People Who Live Next to Omaha." We finally get some national attention, and this happens. Thanks, Crazy Goth Woman! You've set back the Council Bluffs non-crazy movement about 20 years.

This has been the longest week ever. WCK is getting over the worst cold she's had in her life. I'm not exaggerating: Her life has only been two and a half years long, I've witnessed every cold she's ever had, and this was by far the worst one. For the past two days, we've stayed in and tried to stick to "quiet" activities, such as coloring, book reading, watching Judy Garland/Mickey Rooney videos on YouTube. (WCK loves these. I told you she was my clone.) Yesterday she was so cranky that I wanted to run away from home, but I knew that unless I ran to a locale with a TiVo, I'd miss American Idol, so I decided to stick it out. By late afternoon, I'd given up on doing anything productive, and I let her watch three back-to-back episodes of Thomas and Friends. WCK seems to love Thomas (although it could have been the fact that she was viewing the show through a haze of exhaustion, cough medicine, and snot), but I find him and his friends downright creepy. Forget the brain damage caused by lead-coated Thomas toys; I think the main brain-damage danger comes from simply watching the show.

And what does "shunting trucks" mean?

5 comments:

Abigail said...

Thomas is creepy? That's blasphemy in our house. The day hasn't even started yet until you've seen a few Thomas train crashes to get you in a good mood. Once WCK is feeling better you can send her over to our house for a marathon DVD session where Hannah will explain the intricacies of shunting trucks to her.

Buzz Stephens said...

Just wanted to give you a heads up about The Judy Garland Experience. This week along with all the Judy treats we are also featuring Liza Minnelli singing thirty classic songs from the Judy Garland songbook.
If you don't know about The Experience it's about time you checked it out.
It is the largest Judy group in the world and features the most eclectic bunch of Judy fans ever assembeled. We have authors, film makers, Garland family members, other celebrities, People who knew and/or worked with Judy, and fans from all levels and all walks of life. The only one missing is you!
The group has the most amazing unreleased Judy Garland audio and photo files anywhere, and the material is ever changing, sometimes from week to week, and sometimes from day to day!
Please visit our little Judyville and check it out, you may find that you never want to leave!
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/
If you don't have a Yahoo account, don't worry, it is easy and free to sign up, just follow the link.
Buzz

Karen's sister said...

Has WCK seen "Wonder Pets?" Grandma Barb got WCN a Wonder Pets DVD for Christmas and it is hilarious!! Its a guinea pig, a turtle, and a duck who go save baby animals in trouble, and its all an operetta, so they sing the whole time. WCN just loves it and demands it several times a day. We like it too, which is good. And then we end up singing the songs all day, which makes it fun.

Brooke said...

Thanks for getting that song in my head. I really appreciate it;)

Anonymous said...

I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma right after my 35th birthday. Your funny stories/struggles with the tests and medications (dex and Thalomide) always make me smile and remind me I am not alone. Although I have never been one to say "Why me?", many times I have asked myself what could have caused this and I am sure that it is environmental. Reading your blog today only enforced my feeling - I was born in Norfolk, NE but lived most of my childhood (infancy to 16 years) in the Omaha area (Fremont, Valley and Omaha). I wonder how many other "younger patients" are out there that grew up in similiar areas...