Friday, January 25, 2008

Iron Woman

I've mentioned before that WCK has a horrible fear of vacuum cleaners. This is at least somewhat understandable, as vacuums make loud roaring noises. (Then again, so do dinosaurs, and she is in love with dinosaurs.) I haven't mentioned, however, that she also has a horrible fear of irons and ironing boards. Why? I DON'T KNOW. There's no good reason for this. It's not like a gang of evil irons once chased her through the woods at night.

I realize these two fears probably speak volumes about the state of my home and of my clothing.

Today we went to an arts and crafts gathering, where the craft involved ironing scraps of material to pillows. I didn't stop to think about WCK's fear of irons when I signed us up for this. Maybe I was trying to block it out of my mind. As soon as she saw me standing near the ironing board, however, she freaked out and we had to leave early, without our completed craft. She was an absolute mess until naptime.

What? IRONING BOARDS, WCK? What? Why? Why?

As soon as I got home, I actually Googled "afraid ironing boards", hoping that I'd find thousands of stories about other kids who suffered from the same thing, hoping that I'd find some evidence that my kid was totally normal. Maybe I could find a support group or something. Maybe it would even have some fancy scientific name, like "Wrinklefreeaphobia" or something. Nope, nothing. I did find one blog entry that began, "Emma is terrified of the ironing board ..." I got very excited until I realized that Emma is a cairn terrier. This is the breed of dog that played Toto in The Wizard of Oz, so at least it must be a semi-intelligent breed. But still.

The funniest result of my search was this: "Afraid of David Gest ... She noted that his permanently tattooed eyebrows and overly stiff-face reminds her of an ironing board. ..."

David Gest. Heh. Yes, WCK, there's something even scarier than an ironing board.

4 comments:

tk said...

we used to have a cat that was afraid of the ironing board. It made a shrieking kind of noise when it was unfolded. When the cat even saw the ironing board, he would run and hide. And this cat was a great killer of bats, rabbits, and mice. He kept trying to catch a squirrel, but as far as I know, he was never successful. And he had no front claws!

Abigail said...

I feel WCK's pain. That's why we have two laundry baskets full of ironing.

Dan said...

I think She sees the Vacuum and the ironing board as two things that take Mommys attention away from Her ,and She is for sure very precious.

Sunshine said...

Before our daughter could read, she was given an IQ test that included little pictures to identify. One picture was an apron. My kids couldn't tell an apron from an ironing board!!!