Monday, December 10, 2007

I'm Navin Johnson

I went back to the cancer center today to start the ball rolling on returning to the Revlimid. The good news is they found a vein on the first try. Woo hoo! The bad news is there's nothing inside my veins. As I'd been warned by the folks at Mayo, the stem-cell-sucking machine ate all of my red blood cells. My hemoglobin is 9.7. Eek. Right before the harvest, it was a robust 12.1. Just yesterday, I saw an old episode of E.R. where Dr. Carter did a panicky run down the hall in the middle of the night because some guy's hematocrit (that's another red-blood-cell measurement) dropped to 30. Mine is 27.5. Nice. Where's Dr. Carter?

Remember the part in The Jerk where Steve Martin sends a letter to his parents telling them that he's been donating blood three times a day to get the free food?

"I decided to quit," his mother reads, "when I cut myself shaving and nothing came out but air."

This is me. There's nothing but air in there. They sucked me dry.

Anyway. Dr. GPO was impressed with my 10.4 million cells. He said he'd give all of my paperwork to the nurse, and she'd contact the pharmacy, drug company, etc., to get me my drugs. I'm not sure how long it's going to take. Oh, and here's the best news: I told him Dr. H said it was OK to back off of the Dex a little bit if the 20 mg got to be too much for me, which it was back in September. He said we could try 12 mg and see how it goes. Twelve! That's three pills instead of my all-time high of TEN.

This news makes me want to go out there and be somebody.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Navin! I love your blog. I am an advocate for the Institute for Myeloma and Bone Cancer Research Center and Dr. James R. Berenson in Los Angeles. Could you please add us to your links section? www.imbcr.org. Thank you!