Saturday, December 08, 2007

Curse you, Charles Schulz!

Over the past several months, WCK has become very particular about what she will watch on TV. She has completely shunned Elmo, and for the past, oh, three months or so, the only thing -- I mean, THE!! ONLY!! THING!! -- she would watch on TV is The Adventures of Milo and Otis. This is a live-action movie from the early '90s featuring an orange cat and a pug dog who have various adventures with other live-action animals. I sometimes wonder how many cats and dogs they, um, lost during the filming, but I try not to think about it too much. Dudley Moore provides all of the voices and narrates. I know all of the dialogue. I hear the music in my head when I try to sleep at night. WCK was beginning to speak in a British accent after listening to Dudley Moore so often.

Because I wasn't sure how much more Milo and Otis I could handle, I began encouraging other movies and TV shows. I was unsuccessful until she agreed to watch Bambi three times at my sister's house. This was a huge breakthrough. WCK thinks Bambi is HILARIOUS! The part where his mother gets shot? HILARIOUS!! (To be fair, she doesn't realize anyone is getting shot. She just notices the deer running). Santa is going to be bringing our own copy of Bambi to our home, purchased used on Amazon for $7. Thank you, Santa.

Yesterday, I introduced A Charlie Brown Christmas, recorded on our TiVo. Success! She loved it! Turns out I should be careful what I wish for. It aired back-to-back with a newer Charlie Brown special, one that features Linus sitting in his classroom, listening to the teacher talk. You know the Charlie-Brown-teacher sound: Waaah, waaaah, waaaaaah.

WCK is FASCINATED by the Charlie Brown teacher. We have to watch this 30-second segment of Linus and the teacher over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

And over.

And when Charlie Brown is not on, my life sounds like this:

"Teacher go 'Blah, blah', Mommy! Teacher go, 'Blah, blah!' On TV! Mommy! Teacher go 'Blah, blah!' Pretty funny! Teacher go, 'Blah, blah!'"

I'm starting to miss Dudley Moore.

2 comments:

Drew said...

Hi, Karen ... it's a phase. My son at age 4 recited reams of dialogue from "Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too" for exactly the same reason -- OVEREXPOSURE. Recently over dinner, he (now 21) and his sister (15) tag-teamed with a word-for-word rendition of a couple of comedy routines they'd seen on YouTube (one of them being John Pinette on how much he hates standing in line for fast food): apparently, "Get outta the line!", spoken in a high-pitched demon voice, is becoming a watchword for the two of them. So there's a lot to look forward to. Those cupcakes look wonderful, by the way!

Drew said...

Forgot to add ... do you mind if I pray for your healing?