Friday, December 14, 2007

Busy times, back on drugs

Yep, I'm back on the drugs. I'm doing OK so far. In fact, I slept really well last night, and I give credit to the Revlimid. We'll see how I handle the Dex.

Last night was the MOMS Club cookie exchange. Everyone brought four dozen of one kind of cookie, and then we all got to take home a few of each kind. Now I have a big variety of cookies for the holidays. Jay and I agreed we'd stick them in the freezer immediately and force visiting family members to eat them later. We've been good so far, I swear. I made seven-layer bars, which are one of my favorite cookies AND very easy to make. My grandma used to make them all the time, so I always think of her when I eat them. Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/3 cups shredded coconut


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Place butter in 13 x 9 inch pan and melt in oven. Swirl to coat bottom and sides with butter.
Spread crumbs evenly over bottom of pan. Layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and nuts over crumbs. Pour condensed milk over nuts. Sprinkle coconut over condensed milk.
Bake until edges are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool.


This morning, a group of us got together to wrap presents for the Adopt-A-Family project. Our dining room table is now covered in wrapped packages that I need to drop off this weekend. Technically, I'm coordinating the project, but the MOMS Club board members completely took over for me while I was away for three weeks sucking cells (Thanks, guys!). We purchased gifts for a family of six (!!) children and another family with just one child. We had so many donations, we were able to get clothes and toys for all seven kids, one "adult" gift for each family (stuff like pots and pans), and a grocery-store gift card for each family. There were times when I'd start getting a little stressed out about the project, and then I'd get a big donation from somebody, and I'd feel like Jimmy Stewart at the end of It's a Wonderful Life when everyone was throwing money on him. It was a good feeling.

Tonight, Jay and I took WCK to our favorite Mexican restaurant ever: Manny's in downtown Kansas City. It was WCK's first time there. She ate an entire quesadilla, which we explained was a "Mexican grilled-cheese sandwich". For some reason, the quesadilla was also served with an enormous pile of cheese. She also ate most of the enormous pile of cheese and sprinkled all of the rest of it on the carpet. There may have been some mild flinging of refried beans as well. We wonder if we will be allowed back at Manny's again. Good times.

No comments: