Saturday, December 29, 2007

Bambi II: A Fawn's Revenge

We've been watching a lot of Bambi around here. It's WCK's new favorite movie ever. The other day, she woke up from her nap and her diaper was bone dry. In the early potty-training world, this is like striking gold. I could hardly contain myself.

"Let's go sit on the potty!" I said enthusiastically.

"Potty scary!" shrieked WCK. "Watch Bambi!"

Ooooh, I was not about to walk down the "potty scary" road. When WCK decides something is officially "scary", she will not go near it for at least six months. I had to take desperate measures, so I bribed her.

"What if you can sit on the potty and watch Bambi at the same time?" I proposed.

WCK thought this was a marvelous idea, so I got her settled on the potty and then brought the portable DVD player into the bathroom. We watched Bambi for about 15 - 20 minutes, and she peed, and everyone was happy.

I've been thinking a lot about Bambi. His mother gets shot, and then his usually-distant father approaches him and says, "Your mother won't be with you anymore." Bambi looks sad, and bam, that's it. In the next scene, it's spring and Bambi is all grown up and completely well-adjusted and over all the trauma and ready to cruise for chicks. WHAT? What happened over the winter? Did he just go crash at Thumper's place? Did have to move in with his dad, who doesn't seem like the most responsible or nurturing guy? I mean, Bambi's dad just stands around on the hill doing nothing while Bambi's mom raises the kid all by herself. I kind of want to shake some sense into her for putting up with that nonsense. I always wonder how many other does Bambi's dad impregnated. Are Bambi and Feline half-brother and -sister? Eeeeeeew!

Anyway, the "What-happened-to-Bambi-during-the-winter" thing was driving me crazy, and then I found out that there is a Bambi II video that tells us, yes, WHAT HAPPENED DURING THE WINTER! Woo hoo! Apparently, Bambi does move in with his dad -- voiced by Patrick Stewart. The video is racing to our home from Amazon. I can only hope that the deer in Bambi II also discover a stockpile of weapons and take revenge against the hunters, but that's probably too much to hope for.

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Doesn't it make you wonder what kind of people wrote that stuff?? Congratulations on the successful Bambi session.

Kat said...

Hi Karen,
I've been reading your blog now for the last year or so. I get a kick out of it because I can relate to the myeloma end of it (I was diagnosed in November of 2006) and the adventures with a 2 year old (I have one as well as a 9 and 11 year old). Grace (my 2 year old) squeaked in just under the wire before the stem cell transplant killed off what was left of my reproductive system. You have a great attitude and we try to have one here as well. I go for treatment at Sloan Kettering in Manhattan so, as with you and Mayo, I feel we're doing all we can to stay on top of things. Well, thanks for your blog and I hope you and your family have a Happy New Year!
Kat D.