Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Where's my smiley face?

Today my CD34 was just four. Really, really upsetting.

After we got the results back, Jay and I decided to meet with the nurse coordinator in person. She explained that three million is the MAXIMUM one needs per transplant. Really, a person only needs somewhere between 2 and 3 million cells per transplant. At 7.75 million, I have collected enough for three transplants, and she said I should feel good about what I have collected. However, since I have gone this far with getting all the extra injections, we are going to try one more day to see if we can squeeze out any extra cells. Tomorrow I'll go in at 7 a.m. again for more injections and another blood test. If my CD34 has hit 10, (which I should know by tomorrow afternoon) then I'll collect on Friday. If my CD34 is still low, then it means that the growth factor injections just aren't working for me anymore, and I get to quit. They'll pull the line out of my neck, and then I can go.

I feel like sort of a loser for not hitting the goal of nine. It's like I'm getting an average C when I could be getting an A-plus. I want the extra credit and the smiley face on the top of my paper.

5 comments:

Karen's sister said...

Sorry to hear the news, though you should feel good about the 7-odd million. That's a ton! And quite the accomplishment. How many people do you know who could go around like you with a thing sticking out of their neck without complaining? Not many. I would be a total grouch. You, on the other hand, have been very patient and gracious.

Abigail said...

Oh Karen. You are so not a loser. You've done a wonderful job. Maybe the evil stem cells will have a last hurrah tomorrow. If not, we'll look forward to having you back in KC.

Patty said...

Do you realize how many 0s are in 7 million? 7,000,000! You should quite proud of yourself, you are such trooper. Best of luck tomorrow and safe travels back home to KC!

Faithful Reader said...

Smiley faces are just for show, the real proof of success is in what you have already accomplished. Wow . . . you've come a long way, baby. Don't ever consider yourself a loser, you're tops in my book!

Brooke said...

You've done great and handled it with grace. The number of cells you produce is something you have no control over and it certainly isn't a sign of failure! Hopefully you'll never even need them anyway;) Think of how nice it will be to get home...and the fabulous Hyvee chicken dinner that awaits you:)