Friday, November 30, 2007

This rocks!

I spent the morning hooked to the machine, as usual, dozing through The Golden Girls. This afternoon, I waited and waited for the nurse coordinator to call me back to tell me how I'd done. When she hadn't called by 6 p.m., I went down to the Infusion Therapy Center for my scheduled injections, hoping maybe they'd be able to tell me my results. A nurse came out to the waiting room and told me I had a phone call. It was Joan, my very, very sweet nurse coordinator, who had some amazing news.

Today I collected .... 2.65 MILLION CELLS!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! This puts my total at 10.4 million, well over my goal of nine million. I am no longer a stem-cell loser. I am a stem-cell superstar!



I get all of the extra credit and two smiley faces!

As long as I was down at the Infusion Therapy Center, they said they could pull out my line right then. I was scared it was going to be a horribly painful procedure; after all, there was a 6-ish-inch line stuck in my neck. It didn't hurt at all. I lay down on a bed, and the nurse tilted it back so I was sort of standing on my head. He told me to take a deep breath, and then whipped it right out. It wasn't the least bit painful. Then I had to lie flat for about 20 minutes, and then I had to sit up for about 10 minutes and drink some juice. Then they sent me on my way. I have a giant bandage on my neck that has to stay on for 48 hours.

We're hoping to leave tomorrow, but it looks like we're in for some bad weather. We're hoping to leave really early and make it as far as my sister's house in Ames, Iowa and stay there until Sunday. We'll see how it goes.

Earlier today, WCK went to story time at Barnes and Noble, and they gave her a sticker that says, "This Rocks!" She decided to give it to me right before I left for the ITC. I stuck the sticker on the giant band-aid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! SO happy for you. Hope you make it home before bad weather.

Brooke said...

Showoff:)

tk said...

So happy you finally get to go home! Weather is not so good here. My mailbox is covered with ice. Hope you made it to Ames last nlght/

ppl said...

Hi - I just discovered your blog - I wish you the best. I was diagnosed with smoldering myeloma 6/06. I have my monthly mayo appt. this monday, dec. 1. is there anyway I could ask you some treatment/medical questions? Thank you.