Friday, November 16, 2007

Pain in the neck

Here I am in the recovery room with an IV sticking out of my wrist and what feels like a 10-pound weight on my neck. I haven't even gotten a good look at what exactly they did to me. Jay says it doesn't look too bad. I hope it doesn't look as bad as it feels. I feel like I've been attacked by a herd of vampires.

This was my first time having real surgery, if you don't count the bone-marrow biopsies. There was a little drama in the OR -- not like Grey's Anatomy, there's-an-unexploded-bomb-in-the-patient-type drama -- but just a little moment of panic for me when they couldn't start an IV to administer the anesthesia. They could not find a vein anywhere on my body. (See? I have teeny veins!) I had three anesthesiologists searching my body -- hands, feet, neck, wrists, arms -- for a vein, any vein. At one point, the surgeon leaned over and said they wouldn't be able to put me under for the surgery. "We'll give you a bunch of local anesthetic," he said. "It'll be just like going to the dentist." Now, I've sort of started priding myself on not being wimpy about medical things, BUT COME ON!! Finally the head anesthesiologist -- a very sweet British man -- managed to find a vein in my wrist. Thank you, sweet British man! After that, I sort of floated away and drifted in and out, and everything was just fine. I could hear everyone talking from time to time, but it didn't sound like real words. It sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher: "Waaaah, wah, waaaaah ...."

Then they wheeled me back upstairs, and now I'm having toast and pudding and Diet Pepsi. Mmmm ....

6 comments:

Karen's sister said...

I'm proud of you for hanging in there! In a way, I keep thinking you've just received the piercing of the century. Do they offer any stylish central lines, like with unicorns, tigers, or wolves on them? If not, maybe this is an untapped market where you can make your millions :)

Brooke said...

Hang in there!!!

Abigail said...

See, aren't we British people nice?

Sunshine said...

Brave Patient!!
Good job.
We are cheering for you.

tk said...

Sounds like all is going well. Which transplant coordinator did you see? Richard sees Michelle or Bob most of the time, but I think he has seen them all at one time or another.

Hope you collect many cells in a short time!

John Wagner said...

Whew, what a week. I have been playing catch-up with my reading. I think you will pump out those stem cells in record numbers and throw in an extra million just for kicks. Have a great, cell productive weekend.