Tuesday, November 20, 2007

And today's total is ...

THREE MEEEEEEELLION CELLS!



Woo hoo! If I keep collecting cells at the same rate (which I'm told most people do), I should only have two more days of collection! Yay!

The collection was almost exactly like I expected. Here's a very non-technical description: I sat in a hospital-type bed, and a nurse hooked my line up to a big fancy machine. Jay got to sit in a chair next to me and hang out. Blood ran through long tubes and went into the machine, which made all kinds of whirring and clanging and beeping noises and somehow figured out which cells were the stem cells and spit them into a little bag. I sat there for five hours and read a book, and the nurses insisted on constantly bringing me cookies and pop. It wasn't too bad. I did get a slight tingling feeling in my fingers, which meant the nurse had to inject some extra calcium into my line. And by 1:30 p.m., I was a little antsy to just get up and walk around. Other than that, everything was fine. Hopefully tomorrow goes just as well.

2 comments:

Karen's sister said...

How does the machine know?? How do they know there are 3 million? Is there a little cell counter? Do the cells look like regular blood? Or are they big, killer cells with armor and little swords?

Sorry for all the questions, I just have to know.

Anyway, I'm so glad things are going well. We'll all have something to be truly thankful for this year.

L.P. Cells said...

I bet there are hundreds of mini-me's in that machine. That's it. Counting out the cells. To counter the Dr. Evil juju Willy Wonka has sent a battalion of Oompa-Loompas to buzz, whir, beep and flash.

I suggest some chocolate as the solution to any issues that might arise.