Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I love my foam finger

Jay and I went to a Kansas City Chiefs game on Sunday. I'd never been to a pro football game before, and I know nothing about football. My only football knowledge comes from the movie Rudy and various Peanuts cartoons. Keep trying, even if the Evil Coach is mean to you. Never kick a ball if Lucy is holding it. That's all I know.

Anyway. I told Jay I would go to the game with him as long as I could buy one of those enormous foam fingers that you wear over your hand. I've never had an enormous foam finger, and I've always secretly wanted one. After searching the various souvenir stands at the stadium, we finally tracked one down. It wasn't quite as enormous and hilarious as I'd expected, and then I realized I was the only person over the age of 10 who was in possession of an enormous foam finger. When your hand is about half the size of mine, one of those fingers probably seems extra enormous and extra, extra, EXTRA hilarious. It worked out, though, and the Chiefs won, probably because they saw me waving my foam finger and felt inspired. WCK just loves the finger. Last night before her bath, she was running around naked, wearing nothing but the finger.

Also, while we were tailgating in the parking lot, two women came by selling red and gold beads as a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The LLS covers all blood cancers, so it should really be called the Leukemia, Lymphoma, and Myeloma Society, but I guess that's a lot of words to fit on the sign. Anyway, I bought a set of beads from them, and I hope a lot of other people did too. Now I have my football beads and my finger, so I'm all set to go back to a Chiefs game next year. I'll have to borrow my sister's copy of Rudy so I can refresh my knowledge right before I go.

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Thanks for writing! You are a delight. Happy finger waving.

Karen's sister said...

So I was thinking that spending a few weeks at Mayo will be kind of tough, mostly just passing the time. Is there any chance you can get away for a few hours? If so, here's a great spot:
http://www.spam.com/museum/
Hopefully we can come visit, maybe bring some processed pork shoulder. :)