Saturday, September 01, 2007

Let's hear it for the toys!

A while back, I mentioned I was heading up a service project for my stay-at-home-moms group. It was a "Treasure Box" drive for Children's Mercy Hospital here in Kansas City. We collected little trinket-type toys -- things like Hot Wheels or little stuffed animals -- to be given to kids who are outpatients at the hospital. I'm really happy to say that yesterday we dropped off approximately 630 toys at the hospital!! Woo hoo! I was able to purchase many of these toys using donations given by people who read this blog, so thank you, thank you! You will all be getting "real" thank-you cards in the mail soon. Our group really appreciated all of the support.

In other news: I didn't hear back from the insurance company yesterday, but I did get a nice letter from the Mayo Clinic letting me know that I'll have help from the Medical Social Services department. They help you with everything from finding lodging to dealing with financial issues to finding a bone-marrow-transplant support group, etc., etc. I'm not sure how much help we need, since I'm only having a harvest right now, but it's nice to know there's a department to help out with all of this and they won't just leave us hanging.

Also, Geraldine Ferraro, who has had myeloma for nine years, was on the Today Show the other day. Here's a link to an article and the video of the segment: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/20527638/

No comments: