Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Cheese sauce, inflatable slides, November

I've been feeling a whole lot better since that last post. Things are looking up.

We had a really fun weekend. We traveled to Ames, Iowa to see my sister, Jenny, my brother-in-law, T.J., and World's Cutest Niece. WCN is only four months younger than WCK, and those two little girls just love each other. They play very nicely together and would even walk around holding hands. Jay, T.J., and three of Jay's friends from Minnesota spent Saturday tailgating, attending an Iowa State football game, and participating in all-night, post-game revelry. I'm not sure what went on; I'm not sure I want to know. The most I heard is that one of the group entered a convenience store in the wee hours of the morning and tried to order doughnut holes with cheese sauce.

Again, I don't want to know.

Anyway, this meant that Jenny and I got to spend a lot of "girl time" with our little ladies. We visited a real farm, took a long walk, and went out to eat at a pizza place. Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot of activity, but with two two-year-olds in tow, it was a very full day. We all enjoyed it. After the girls went to bed, Jenny and I watched Rudy. Heh.

Today, WCK and I went to a crazy place called AirZone. I've never seen anything like it. It's two enormous rooms filled with giant inflatable slides, obstacle courses, and what can best be described as "bouncy thingies." It looked like a place WCK would run screaming away from, but she loved it. There was one giant slide that we had to climb at least half a dozen times, and she eagerly completed all of the obstacle courses -- with Mommy right behind her providing a boost up all of the climbing walls. After about an hour or so, we were both completely exhausted and sweaty. I think EVERYONE needs to go to AirZone for their daily workout. If there were an AirZone on every street corner, there would be no childhood obesity -- or mommyhood obesity, for that matter. At the very least, you can use AirZone to justify junk food. "I can have a brownie: I went to AirZone today." I love you, AirZone!

Today I also got everything (pretty much) squared away for the Mayo trip. I report for my first day of testing on the morning of Monday, November 5. The tentative schedule is to have a bunch of medical tests on Nov. 5, 6, and 7 and to also meet with Dr. H on Nov. 7. If everything goes OK, I'd start injections to mobilize the cells on Nov. 8 and hopefully begin stem-cell collection on the 12th. The woman I spoke with said I could be done as soon as Nov. 16 or maybe just a few days later. It's sounding like we'd be up there for two weeks at the most, instead of three weeks, and it also sounds like we'd be back before Thanksgiving. I also got good news from my insurance caseworker: We have full coverage for everything, including all of our travel and lodging expenses (WOO HOO!!). I know that we're really lucky. I booked us a furnished apartment really close to the clinic. It's also really close to a Barnes and Noble. Do you think insurance will reimburse us for Barnes and Noble expenses? I could argue that B&N is therapeutic.

No comments: