Saturday, August 25, 2007

Knock, knock

Jay and the Pee Pod and I are leaving for Mayo tomorrow morning. I have a blood draw and pod drop-off on Monday morning, and then my appointment with Dr. H is at 3 p.m. We'll drive all night to get home. By Tuesday I should have an update for you on what she said. WCK is staying here with Grandma and Grandpa, and I'm sure they're going to have a ball. I always really miss her, though. Plus, I have to miss my book club meeting and a chance to take WCK swimming at her friend Lilly's house. Stupid disease.

Other than that, not much has been going on. Monday, WCK and I went to a toddler exercise class called Stretch and Grow. We'd been once before, and WCK really enjoyed it and talked nonstop all month about "ex-size class". This time, she did great while we were following along with the teacher's exercises, but when it came time for all of the kids to gather together for an obstacle course, another game where we bounced on some giant exercise balls, and then an activity with a parachute, she got really overwhelmed and made a dramatic exit from the gym. You know the part in The Wizard of Oz where the Cowardly Lion runs out of the wizard's throne room and throws himself out of a window? It was EXACTLY like that. Well, except for the window-throwing. She sort of patted on the door and said, "Go home!" Close enough.

The rest of the week was better. We had a music class on Tuesday, a moms-and-kids brunch on Thursday, and on Friday we had arts and crafts AND it was cool enough to play outside at a park, which was a huge deal. It's been so hot around here that we spend most afternoons trapped inside with the Fisher Price Little People. WCK loves the Little People. She has the Little People house, which came with a family identical to our own -- Mommy, Daddy, Baby, Kitty. They have all kinds of adventures. For example, WCK will have each member of the family go to the little refrigerator. Daddy gets coffee, Mommy gets bottled water, and Baby gets chocolate milk. Very realistic. Then Baby takes a nap in the crib, Daddy sits in front of the little computer, and Mommy ... always sits on the potty. What?!?! Must be all of the bottled water I've been drinking.

We also play a game with the house called "Knock Knock", in which all of the other Little People (the ones from the bus, the plane and the Noah's ark), as well as any other little toy in the vicinity (plastic zoo animals, little rubber bugs, even a rock she found outside) will knock on the front door. "Knock, knock," I will say, making the Little Person bang his/her head against the front door. "It's me. Carlos*. Can I come in?" WCK will then answer the door with a tiny Cinderella figure. Cinderella always answers the door. Why? Is she the nanny/maid the Little Family had to hire because Mommy is always on the potty? I do not know.

My point, and I do have one, is that I'm glad it cooled down, even if it was just for one day. After weeks of "Knock, Knock", going to the park was very exciting.

Anyway, wish us luck. I'll update soon.

* He's the guy who drives the Little People Bus. But if you live with anyone under five, you already know this.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Four years ago, when we got our first little people toys, we didn't know the little people had actual names. Spencer named the blond kid Glen (who we now know is named Eddie) and he named Carlos Mr. Moustache. We have alternate names for them all. Except Noah. But we couldn't find what Noah's wife's name was (even my dad didn't know) so he named her Martha. (We were one of the lucky few to get an early version of the Ark, complete with Noah's wife. I know you already know that. I guess I'm just bragging.)

Good luck tomorrow!

a mom said...

Ted of the Excellent Adventure said that Noah's wife is Joan of Arc!