Thursday, July 05, 2007

Ah, youth

I've had a problem that has plagued me since I was a teenager: Apparently, I look a lot younger than I actually am. I was still getting carded for R-rated movies well into my 20s. After we moved into our house, I'd open the door to door-to-door salespeople only to have most of them ask me, "Are your mom and dad at home?"

It hasn't happened in quite a while, so I thought, "Well, maybe having a baby and getting cancer have finally aged me." Today, a guy from the water department came by to hook up some new water-meter thingie. He explained what he was going to do, and then said, "Um. Are you over 18?"

HEH.

This was kind of an annoying problem when I was 17 and just wanted to see The Hand that Rocks the Cradle without being harassed. Now it's just fun.

6 comments:

David E said...

I don't ever want to hear you complain about this again!!!

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Karen's mom said...

Because of the way you eat healthy and exercise, maybe some day you'll be in the Olympics of looking young. Someone might ask if you and WCK are sisters. Go for the gold!

I suppose by then she'll be WCT (teenager) or WCHG (World's cutest Harvard Grad now that she doesn't have to crawl or be carried to kindergarten.)

Love,
Mom

Brooke said...

Maybe I need to take some lessons from you. People usually think I'm...gasp...in my 30s!!

Anonymous said...

Karen-
I have this same problem from time to time. One time a guy came to fix our fridge and I went to the door with my two boys and he thought I was the babysitter. Ugh.
Jennifer B.

Kristen D. said...

I feel your "pain." I am 38...and stil get carded.

And I LOVE it! (Believe me, someday you will too).

Best wishes,
Kristen

mplsdeanna said...

We have a photo of Karyn, Tom, and me at Tom's first Easter (spring 2004 -- so I was just turning 31). My hair? Brown as brown can be.

My hair today? Richard Gere in "Pretty Woman." A woman at work last year (so then I was 33) asked how old I was. I asked, "How old do you think I am?"

"Forty," she said.

So yeah, what you're going through does sound like fun.