Monday, June 18, 2007

Insect repellent

I've already gotten a few mosquito bites this summer from playing with WCK out in the yard. We have an area with a bunch of trees clumped together, and this is where all of the mosquitoes hang out. WCK loves going out there, though, because she wants to "climb" the trees. The bugs never seem to get her. There's one smallish tree she can get a toe-hold on and lift herself about six inches off the ground. She feels very triumphant when she does this. "Climb top!" she says proudly. Yes.

Anyway, since my blood is complete poison now (seriously, the Coumadin is literally rat poison, and I have to swear to the Speak 'N' Spell lady at the Revlimid hotline every month that I'm not going to run out and donate blood), I wonder what happens to the mosquitoes when they bite me. Do they just drop dead? Explode? Get really tired and go home and lie down for a while?

Just something I keep wondering about.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow, you're doing the world a service by getting rid of unwanted mosquitos all while fighting cancer! I think that makes you eligible for some sort of peace prize:)

Abigail said...

SO, I was just wondering: do you think your blood would kill vampires? I feel this would make a great plot twist in a romance novel.

Lizard Eater said...

Yeah! While Little Warrior was on chemo last year, she got bit by a few mosquitos. I always wondered what happened to them ... did they die, or did they become some kind of mutant monster mosquitos?

Joyce said...

Hi Cancer girl! I just found your blog, so entertaining! I'm also a myeloma endurer, coumadin hater, in my 40's and "skinny". Sometimes life is a kick in the butt. But, on the other hand, it can sure make you laugh. It looks like we were diagnosed within 2 months of each other. The worst day of my life was Sept 6, 2005, and had a bone marrow transplant in March 2006. Keep your chin up! Chasing kids just makes you younger. Down with misquitos!