Friday, April 20, 2007

Roller coasters make me throw up

Heck, just watching a merry-go-round slowly turn aggravates my motion sickness, so you can imagine what roller coasters do to me.

Remember last Friday, when I was reassured that we had really awesome insurance coverage for everything? Now the roller coaster screams down a hill: Late yesterday afternoon, I got a message on the machine from the Revlimid Nurse saying that the insurance company now refuses to authorize the Revlimid. Dr. GPO immediately wrote them a very stern letter saying that I absolutely need it, and I need it now. It got faxed out late yesterday. I haven't read the letter, but the nurse described it as "flaming", and she said that I'd know how completely serious he was if I read it. I really don't want to read it, because I'm sure it says something really serious about how I have two seconds to live unless I get the drug. I guess that's true (OK, maybe it's more like three seconds to live), but I still don't want to see it in print.

I called early this morning and talked to a different nurse (Revlimid Nurse is out today), who was pretty helpful. She told me that when a doctor intervenes like this, then the insurance company HAS to come back with some kind of response. We're supposed to know on Monday or Tuesday what they say about the letter. I asked if we needed to get Dr. H involved; she said that if the answer is still no next week, then yes. Dr. H has prescribed Revlimid a million times, so I know that she'll be able to help out or have some kind of plan if we still get denied. I guess I'm satisfied with this plan for now, although I wonder why it took the insurance company three weeks to say no. I have no idea.

But now it's going to be a nice weekend, so I'm going to try to crawl off the roller coaster, wobble my way over to a non-moving bench, and have somebody bring me a cup of Sprite so I can recover.

1 comment:

A mom said...

I collect quotations. I have one for you, Karen:

"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)