Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Holding pattern

Everything is still on hold, because I couldn't get my blood test done today. Yesterday, the nurse told me I could come in any time I wanted. It's a long story, but I didn't get to the cancer center until 4:15 p.m., and then I found out that the lab shuts down at 4 p.m. What? Isn't every other business in the world open until at least 5 p.m.? You can get a McNugget 24 hours a day, but the life-saving cancer lab stops at 4 p.m.

Anyway, the front desk lady was still there, she was very nice to me, and we got everything squared away for me to come in tomorrow morning. Maybe I should have used my new hairdo to my advantage and tried to convince them that I'm Florence Henderson so they'd re-open the lab for me. You can't turn away Mrs. Brady.

3 comments:

Karen's sister said...

How frustrating! The whole blood test and pregnancy test thing seems kind of strange to me, though. Doesn't it? I can understand why they do it - to avoid lawsuits - but it also seems like an invasion of privacy. For some reason I keep thinking, "Who are they to be Big Brother?" Say, for example, a person happens to be poor. Should an insurance company have the right to require monthly tests, under the threat of revoking coverage, because a poor person having another baby would be a burden on their company (and possibly a burden to society)? Well no, naturally. So why should these companies have the right to control the lives of patients, who have been informed of the risks, under the threat of revoking coverage? Health care in America - an oxymoron.

amanda said...

That is just poop. Waiting is the hardest part, for sure.

The same thought has crossed my mind on several occasions: in such an instant-gratification society, why do you have to wait so damn long for anything medicine-related?

Keep us posted...

Karen's mom said...

It certainly takes a positive attitude to beat cancer...but it takes another level of a "grinning hysterically, whistling Zippity Doo-dah" attitude to put up with the bureaucracy and paperwork. Hit 'em hard with all the humor you got!

Love,
Mom