Monday, March 26, 2007

Where's Alice when you need her?

Never eavesdrop on other people's conversations. Here's why:

I went to get my hair cut yesterday. This is always a big deal, since it's hard for me to get out of the house on my own. I always go to the same place, but I'm usually just a walk-in, so I take whichever stylist I can get. I ended up with a guy I've never had before. As I sat there getting trimmed, I overheard a high school girl in the next chair over talking to her stylist: "Oh, I hate my school. The principal is a Nazi who sticks his nose in where it doesn't belong. I mean, OK, yeah, I did pose for those photos on that web site, but ..."

Right then my guy said something like, "Do you want me to blah blah blah, technical hairstyle term?"

"Yeah, sure," I said, trying to focus on the story of the illicit web site.

I never did get to hear the end of the story, and apparently "blah blah blah, technical hairstyle term" was "cut your hair like Florence Henderson".

Here's me:




All right, all right. It's honestly not that bad. This morning my friend Brooke said it didn't look any different from my old hair, but I think she was just being nice, because I told her first that her hair didn't look like Diana Ross' in the humidity (It really didn't, though). There is a really short layer on the top, so whenever I look down -- and remember that I'm the mother of a toddler, so I look down about 5,439 times per day -- it all falls in my eyes. Clearly, this is why Carol Brady needed a housekeeper to assist her with her daily life.

5 comments:

Karen's sister said...

Weird! There must be something in the air. I too just got an awful haircut from a walk-in appointment with a guy I'd never had before. He ended up giving me a 3 inch trim, which needless to say, was devistating. But everyone keeps telling me it looks cute. Hm.

Laughing Plasma said...

This is Scott's wife, Lu here....

We've had a really crappy week...trying not to find anymore information on "Light Chain Disease" until the final FINAL results come in, and boy, it sure has its downs! So, I decided to read some blogs to pass the time and maybe obtain some interesting myeloma stories (to make ours feel normal??)

Well,...I have not laughed so hard like this for quite a while, maybe I will pick up my blogging pen again.

Thank you so very much. Scott said you were really funny!!

Elizabeth said...

Three days ago I cut my hair myself. It had gotten way too long and heavy, so I cut off about five inches. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone unless you have some training. Now It's too short to really keep up, but too choppy and uneaven to leave down.

Brooke said...

You keep getting it just a little shorter with every cut, so it's so gradual I hardly notice. I need to see a photo of you from last year to remember how long your hair used to be. Anyway, I really like how it frames your face but I hear you on it being annoying when it gets in your face though. Beauty has it's challenges.

And, for the record, I looked in the mirror when I got home, I was totally pushing Diana Ross extremes. Wait until August humidity hits...

gina said...

Cancer Girl: You have hair.
Nuff said.