Friday, February 16, 2007

Sorry 'bout the salmonella ...

Public service announcement: Everyone go check your peanut butter. Go on. I'll wait.

There was a tiny article in the Kansas City Star yesterday about people getting salmonella poisoning from peanut butter. Here's an MSN story about it. The affected jars are Peter Pan and Great Value brands with serial numbers starting with "2111". I read the story and thought, "Well, we don't buy Great Val ... oh, wait, we do. Well, I'm sure it doesn't have that number on it. Oh, wait, it does." We had a big jar of salmonella on our counter. Mmmmm.

Jay and I are totally fine, and WCB doesn't eat peanut butter yet, so I'm sure everything is FINE. I usually get irritated when people go around acting like Nervous Nellies, sending out e-mails about Chinese organ thieves or serial killers using fake crying babies to lure you out of your house or plastic in the microwave causing cancer. On the other hand, there's something about possibly spreading salmonella on my toast that makes me want to jump on the Nervous Nellie bandwagon. Can you imagine? "She was coping with the cancer so well, but then it was the peanut butter that took her down."

No comments: