Saturday, February 17, 2007

Read this book!

I'm a little late in recommending this book, since it is, technically, a Christmas book. I've had it since Christmas, but I finally got around to reading it last night. It's The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry. It's really short; I read the whole thing in about 45 minutes. It's based on Dave's own childhood in a small town in New York in the '60s. Trust me, it will brighten your whole life. OK, it will at least brighten your day. It will brighten something.

Here's an excerpt that cracked me up:

The pageant is a really big deal at St. John's. On Christmas Eve, pretty much everybody goes to it, even the people who you never see at church. The pageant director is Mrs. Elkins, who's a tall, skinny lady with a lot of makeup whose hair is the exact same color as the orange part of a candy corn. She's been in charge of the pageant for a LONG time. My dad says the first year she directed it, the part of the baby Jesus was played by the actual Baby Jesus.

Go out and get it. You'll have a good time.

No comments: