Saturday, February 24, 2007

Help us, Geek Squad. You're our only hope.

Ding, dong, our laptop is dead. DEAD. (I'm typing this on Jay's work laptop.) Jay and WCB just loaded the corpse into the car and headed to Best Buy to talk to The Geek Squad. It's a little alarming to me that Jay feels the computer is so far gone that he needs to seek the advice of The Geek Squad. Usually, Jay can completely outsmart The Geek Squad. We both can completely out-geek The Geek Squad, that's for sure. Last night we were up late watching the episode of Star Trek where Kirk and Spock have to fight to the death during Vulcan mating season. This was actually the first episode of the original Star Trek that I've ever seen all the way through, and I have to say that I was really getting into it. I got really scared that Kirk was dead. (He wasn't! McCoy gave him a "fake death" serum! Thank GOD!)

Anyway. My point is that our family is its own little Geek Squad. We shouldn't need help getting geekier.

In other news: I realize this blog is dangerously close to becoming one of Those Blogs that's nothing but Cute Things My Kid Said. I don't want to become one of Those Blogs. On the other hand, my dang kid won't quit saying cute things, so there's nothing I can really do. Yesterday she said her second "sentence": "Bye, Mr. Rogers!" It sounded like, "Bye, Mistew Wogews", which made it all the more endearing.

Is it bad that my kid is talking to the TV? WCB and I are both in looooove with Mr. Rogers right now. In fact, I fear that one day we will get into a fight over which one of us gets to marry Mr. Rogers when she grows up. That's how in love we are. I think if everyone in the U.S. were required to watch an episode of Mr. Rogers every day, there would be less crime and certainly less road rage. I also think that his closing song would make an excellent theme song for my blog:

It's such a good feeling
To know you're alive
It's such a happy feeling
You're growing inside
And when you wake up, ready to say
I think I'll make a snappy new day
(WCB pretends to snap)
It's such a good feeling
A very good feeling
A feeling you know
That I'll be back
When the day is new
And I'll have more ideas for you
And you'll have things you'll want to talk about
I ... will ... too!

2 comments:

DeAnna Miller said...

I think a lot of people feel the same way about Mr. Rogers. Even grown men feel that way -- have you heard of "I'm So Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers"? I haven't read it, but it sounds like you and Nora would really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Im-Proud-You-Friendship-Rogers/dp/1592402275/sr=8-1/qid=1172415578/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-9549511-4426454?ie=UTF8&s=books

Sandra said...

Your sister just told me about your blog last week. (Not that she was hiding it from me; we just recently met.) I'm hooked and have instructed a dear friend to move back from Denver--picking you up on the way--so that we can all live together in the same neighborhood. I should probably let your sister know of this arrangement, though I like her neighborhood so she wouldn't have to move.

Anyway, I could have commented on tons of posts as I devoured them the last couple of days, but Mr. Rogers has a special place in my heart. I was not a Mr. Rogers kid. I'm not sure why. I think my mother didn't find him practical (because he didn't teach numbers and letters, just things like FEELINGS!!). But, I know now that if Mr. Rogers had been my friend, I could have saved thousands of $$ in therapy as an adult. So I'm going to invest in DVDs for WCB III. And myself. I'll never be too old for Mr. Rogers.