Monday, January 01, 2007

Mmm ... NICE!!

Happy 2007, everyone! We celebrated last night as only the parents of toddlers can: We ordered Chinese takeout and fell asleep by 10:30. Woo hoo!

About a week or so ago, WCB invented a new phrase: If she eats something she finds particularly enjoyable, she'll get a big smile on her face and exclaim, "Mmm ... NICE!!"

This is the cutest thing EVER, and I also think this is a good philosophy for life in general. In fact, I think it will be my Official Motto for 2007. I'm going to look for more things that make me want to shriek, "Mmm .... NICE!!" Notice that it's not, "Mmm ... SPECTACULAR!!" or "Mmm ... LIFE CHANGING!!" It's a phrase that celebrates the things that are "nice". You know: the little things that just make life generally pleasant. For example, Jay and I have been watching Scrubs on DVD. We finished one disc and had to send it back to Netflix, which meant we had to wait about a week to see the next episode. Then we discovered that our TiVo had picked up the EXACT episode that we needed. What are the odds?

Nice.

What about you? What makes your life "Mmm ... NICE!!"?

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I love that we can blame our kids for our boring lifestyles. I've always gone to bed before midnight, but now I can say it's because I'm a mom:) Like I was cool before or something.

Karen's sister said...

Hm, not very many people are participating in this string, so here's my two cents... I'm amazed at people's generosity when it comes to kids. Being students on a tight budget, we don't buy many toys or clothes for our little one, and sometimes when she's growing I start to wonder... "Is this it, do I need to go out and spend lots of money on clothes now so she'll have something to wear?" Then, out of the blue, people start giving us things. LOTS of things. More than we can possibly use. Some friends of my in-laws gave us a giant bag full of clothes their daughter outgrew. My friend Sandy who has a 2-year-old daughter gives me a bag of clothes or toys maybe once a week. Other people say, "Hey, my kid never plays with this, take it, we need to get it out of the house." And all of this without us asking for anything. To me, these are like little miracles because its one less thing to worry about.

Oh, and about the origami... T.J. loves the Star Wars origami! He makes little Boba Fett bookmarks. Very useful!

Don said...

Mmmm ... Nice is the few hours right after a good run, a cold beer on a warm evening, a snuggle (*wink*) with my sweetie, or a PB&J sandwich.