Sunday, December 31, 2006

Was I too tough on origami?

I bet every busy mom asks herself that question at one time or another.

Yesterday, I mocked one of my neighbors for getting an "origami kit" for Christmas. Today I got an e-mail from my friend DeAnna, telling me that she ASKED FOR and received an origami book from her two sons. Then she sent me another e-mail full of links to Star Wars origami patterns. (Don't believe me? Check out this one). How little did I know. It looks like A LOT of people are out there doing origami. Now, I'm not sure how many of these people live productive lives outside of their parents' basements, but my eyes are still opened to the fact that origami is being done. A lot.

Sorry, origami.

What else did everyone get for Christmas? Please write in and let me know. Here are some of my coolest gifts:

1. DAVE BARRY'S AUTOGRAPH!!! Oh, yes, you read that right. My friends Elizabeth and Spencer sent me a copy of Peter and the Shadow Thieves autographed by THE GREATEST WRITER IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, DAVE. Spencer manages a Barnes and Noble and got to go to a convention where Dave made an appearance. This is probably the Coolest. Gift. Ever. It even says, "To Karen." "To Karen"!!! Dave knows my name!!! I'd sleep with it under my pillow, but it's a really thick book, and I'd probably have to go back to that chatty physical therapist.

For those of you who don't know who Dave Barry is: He's a Pulitzer-Prize-winning humor writer. He used to write a nationally syndicated column every week, and he's published dozens of books. When I was maybe 12 years old, I read his first book, Bad Habits, and right then and there decided I wanted to be Dave when I grew up. I still want to be Dave when I grow up.

Okay, now we're on to my second cool present, which was ....

2. Bunny slippers that heat up. Aw, yeah. They have these inserts that you put in the microwave for a minute so that the slippers get warm. Toasty and stylish!

3. Sesame Street Old School DVD. This is a three-DVD set of Sesame Street episodes from 1969 through 1974. This is a little before my time (I didn't get hooked on The Street until '76), but I'm amazed at how many of the segments I clearly remember. They must have rerun them for years. Remember The Ladybug Picnic? C is for Cookie? Mr. Hooper? Guy Smiley and Sherlock Hemlock? The original Gordon with the giant 'fro? They're all here!

I did get some other cool things, but I'll stop there for now. Now, what did all of you get? I promise that if it was something nerdy, like an origami book, I won't make fun of you.

Society will do that for me.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Mark and I had a free date night. My grandma sent money for dinner and my mom got Mark an AMC gift card. I can't believe I went to a movie! My first and only one in 2006...phew, barely got that one checked off the list!

As for a tangible gift, Mark and I got each other the most romantic gift ever: a new hot water heater. Sounds crappy, but I appreciate it every morning.

DavidE said...

I got this cool new laptop that allows me to reply with not to funny comments on your blog.

BTW - Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

DeAnna Miller said...

You're laughing now, but just wait until my fleet of paper TIE fighters arrives in your mailbox! You will feel the power of the dark side!

I gave Karyn the Ms. Pacman game that's just a joystick you plug into your TV. It has Pole Position, Galaga, and two other ones I didn't know. IT ROCKS. That was our big New Year's plans -- after the kids went to bed, we played old school video games for an hour and a half. And it was so freakin' cool. As soon as the music started up, it was 1983 and I was dropping my last quarter into the machine at Pizza Hut. Incredible.

amanda said...

I'm so jealous of the Dave Barry autograph. Xmas wasn't so bad, in spite of the origami.

tk said...

I got a Nintendo Dual Screen with a Mario gamne and Tetris. I'm a grama gamer!