Thursday, November 16, 2006

Ignore that drunken spike

I'm still awaiting Official Word from Dr. Hayman at the Mayo Clinic, but I was able to talk to her nurse. They did get the fax with my test results, and the nurse didn't seem to think that Dr. H would be overly concerned with my M-spike going up -- well, at least in the short-term -- because everything else is normal. The nurse pointed out that my IGG protein even went down a little bit. Do any of you myeloma people out there know how your IGG can go down and your M-spike can go up at the same time? If so, let me know.

Anyway, I finally got the results in the mail from the Cancer Center and I was able to go through every number in my usual anal-retentive way. The nurse is right: Everything else that's not protein-related is perfect. It's like there's a party in my blood, and everyone's invited. All those cells were in there having a good time when my M-spike showed up uninvited and drunk, hit on all the other cells' girlfriends, and then started throwing up in the potted plants. So far, all of the other cells are completely ignoring him. Keep it up, cells. None of you had better start listening to his drunken rants or letting him spike (ha!) the punch. Red blood cells, I'm talking specifically to you.

3 comments:

Karen's sister said...

Just out of curiousity... and for the purposes of everyone else following your numbers... is there ever a margin of error with these tests? Say, for example, they did a Gallop Poll (with a slightly conservative bias) of your blood and found that just 20%** of the red blood cells liked M-Spike, while a whopping 80%** of the white blood cells though M-Spike was a jerk.

**Margin of error = +/-60% - Actual results show that all blood cells think M-Spike is a drunken ass.

tk said...

I don't think your small increase will prove significant especially with the IgG decrease. Never heard of that before, usually they go up or down together. I think also that I read somewhere that the M-spike to a certain degree is a subjective estimate based on the graph that's generated by the electrophoresis. Susan LeClair from the ACOR mm list would know.

Great news about WCB.

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,
I've had that same thing happen; M-spike (just call him Spike) jumped from 1.2 to 1.4, which is, like, 17%! But three months later Spike was back down to 1.2 Hallelujah! My personal opinion is that the SPEP test that measures Spike has some variability in it, just like karen's sister said :=)