Thursday, November 02, 2006

Christmas in November

First off, Halloween was great. WCB was the WCD -- World's Cutest Dorothy. I wish I could post photos of her here. Just imagine the cutest little girl in the world in the cutest Dorothy dress in the world and then magnify it times 100. That's what it looked like.

Yesterday, WCB and I had nothing to do, so I decided to take her to Barnes and Noble to see if they had any cute children's books about turkeys. I did find one ... but only after searching around for the teeny, tiny Thanksgiving book section that was hidden behind an enormous Christmas display. It was November 1, people! November 1!

Is it just Barnes and Noble that has gone mad? No, my friends. Later that day, I got into the car to drive to exercise class, and found that Kansas City's 24-Christmas music station has already started up. This is just wrong.

Don't you remember when you were a kid, and it seemed like it took FOREVER for Christmas to come? And this was back in the Olden Times (the '80s), when the Christmas season didn't start until at least the day after Thanksgiving. Don't you think starting Christmas on November 1 has to be absolutely agonizing for kids?

Won't somebody please think of the children?

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

The kids watched Rudolph today, after we took down the Halloween decorations, and we are more than halfway done Christmas shopping! Even when I was a kid, the most exciting and magical time was waiting for Christmas to finally come. The 24-hour Christmas music station isn't up and running yet in Omaha, but I checked for it this morning, and I can't wait for it to start! I say, let's start Christmas in October next year! Oh, and we both work for Barnes & Noble and have to stand behind the Christmas books being out already. There isn't a great deal of interest in Thanksgiving books, unfortunately.

Merry Christmas in November!

Spencer said...

Hey! C'mon Scrooge!! Maybe there should be a law against Christmas before Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is so huge. In fact, last year at Barnes & Noble we sold at least 7 Thanksgiving books. Yeah, who likes the great anticipation and exciting build up of the best SEASON, not just single day, of the year? Definitely not kids! They hate excitement, and man, do they love turkeys!
Thanksgiving? Bah-gobble! Keep the pilgrims and give me Santa in September baby!
Oh, I already bought your Christmas present this year. In September.
;)

amanda said...

I totally agree, Karen. One of the classiest things that I have seen at a retail store lately was last X-mas at a Nordstrom store near Baltimore. During November, there was very elegant looking white draping and snowflakes in all of display windows, with an artist's easel and signage that read something to the effect of, "Nordstrom's encourages our customers to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday with their families. Our Holiday displays will be in place after Thanksgiving."

DeAnna Miller said...

I would totally support this bizarre, early start to Christmas if we would do the same thing for other holidays. I wish Halloween were a month-long thing, with all your friends throwing lots of parties (then we could get more use out of those costumes -- why can't Arbor Day be a costume holiday?). And I wish Memorial Day would go back to being a civic holiday instead of an excuse to have a sale. Oh, I'm becoming so old and cranky.

DavidE said...

We had a lengthy discussion about this very thing the other night....funny thing is my 10 year old loves the fact he can already listen to Feliz Navidad!!!