Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Be aware o' that marrow

I found out today from Amanda's blog that November is Marrow Awareness Month. I think it's pretty sad that it's nearly the end of November and even I had no idea this was going on, considering I'm much more aware of marrow on a daily basis than the average person. How does marrow slip under the radar? I'm sure that none of us missed the fact that last month was Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Heck, you could even get pink cupcakes from the Hy-Vee bakery to mark the occasion. I'm not trying to knock the breast cancer people; on the contrary, they have excellent awareness-raising skills. I think all of us marrow folks need to pull it together and spread the word. Maybe next November, we'll all be feasting on tasty marrow cupcakes. Mmmm .... marrow cupcakes.

Seriously, though, I invite all of you to take just a minute and learn a little more about joining the National Marrow Donor Program. It's a little more involved than donating, say, blood, but it is a lot less involved than donating, say, a kidney. You could save somebody. Maybe you could wind up saving me. Maybe you could be the one to ensure that everyone can continue to read this blog until I am 102 years old and die of a heart attack when someone -- probably my 72-year-old child -- finally convinces me to ride Space Mountain at Disneyland.

Wait, I can't die then. If I finally do ride Space Mountain, I need to live to blog about that. Make it 103 and a giant meteor falling on my assisted-living facility while I'm playing Scrabble.

1 comment:

Karen's sister said...

It's so easy! T.J. and I just today started the process to become bone marrow donors. When I looked up the nearest bone marrow center, it was about 2 1/2 hours away from where we live, and I thought we'd need to travel there to have the necessary blood work done. But I called today and a very nice nurse said all we needed to do was print out a form from the internet and send it in. Then in a few weeks she'll send us a swab kit to get our DNA. She said they don't even need to draw blood any more. Its all paid for and free! So what are you (everyone else) waiting for? Apparently there is a 1 in 200 chance that you will be chosen, and if you are, it isn't a major commitment... just a few days to help someone out.