Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Back from Oz

We went to see Dr. Great and Powerful Oz yesterday morning. My parents were here to watch WCB, so Jay got to come with me.

The Cancer Center just moved to a brand new facility, which is much, much, much nicer and bigger than the old one. It just opened yesterday, and I had the distinction of being the first patient that Dr. GPO saw at the new place. I hope that's a good omen. He gave us his usual 10-minute pep talk about how I'm never going to die, I gave three vials of blood to the lab people, and then I went in search of a flu shot. They were implementing a bunch of new procedures at the new building, so nobody was sure where to put me or which forms I needed to give to whom in order to get my shot. I finally ended up waiting around in the chemo room, in one of those big chemo easy chairs.

Those chairs seem pretty comfy, but they're probably not when you're getting chemo for five hours. That's what was going on with the guy sitting next to me, who was eating a can of peanuts and peacefully working his crossword puzzle while the nurse hooked him up. I guess I can't really complain about my own situation, when all I needed was a shot. As promised, I did not have to bring home a Pee Pod. Woo hoo! Jay and I stopped at Hy-Vee and brought home doughnuts instead. Much more appealing than the contents of a Pee Pod.

The results are supposed to be back tomorrow, but I think that is doctor language for "two weeks from now." We'll see.

1 comment:

amanda said...

The waiting is the hardest part. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.