Tuesday, October 17, 2006

It's even in prime time

Anyone see House last night? The patient was a little old man (played by Joel Grey from Cabaret) who was dying of some mysterious horrible disease. House wanted to find out what the disease was; the little old man just wanted House to inject him with morphine and kill him. House made a deal: If he didn't figure out what was wrong within 24 hours, then he'd go ahead and kill the little old man. So the expert medical team stayed up all night long -- so long that the makeup department had to put dark circles under their eyes and muss their hair -- until they came up with a diagnosis.

Multiple myeloma.

Of course, you knew this couldn't be the real diagnosis, because it was only 7:20, and House never pins down the true diagnosis until at least 7:45, often later. Turns out that around 7:45 they figured out that poor Joel Grey had amyloidosis, which is a condition related to myeloma, where the protein builds up in the organs. He died at the end of the episode, possibly because the dark-circle-eyed beautiful woman doctor injected him with morphine after all.

I'll tell you that I did have a brief moment of triumph when I saw how relieved House was when he thought it was "only" myeloma. "There are treatments," he told the little old man. "You're not terminal." House should know, I thought. He is a SUPER GENIUS. Plus, he's totally faking an American accent, and you can't even tell.

I like it when fictional characters help me feel better about my life.

2 comments:

Karen's sister said...

I saw that and wondered the same thing when he said "There are treatments." Although to House, treatments usually mean killing you on purpose, draining your blood and irradiating it, injecting some common household chemical, doing a brain transplant, then putting your blood back in, and shocking you back to life. And you're cured!

amanda said...

I don't watch House, but I can relate. There's a Charlie Brown special ("Why, Charlie Brown, Why?") about cancer, and while it really simplifies the whole experience, it has always succeeded in making me feel slightly less hopeless about the whole situation.