Thursday, September 21, 2006

... but they do have a Wal-Mart

Last month, I wrote about our visit to Yankton, South Dakota. My two best friends from college went to high school there. Much of Jay's extended family lives there. It's about 25 minutes away from where I went to college. I worried a little that calling it "Crankton" would hurt the town's reputation. Turns out that Yankton has much worse PR problems:



If you can't read the small print, it says,

"It's a federal prison in the middle of nowhere. Nobody you know has a clue where it is. There's no airport, no bus station, no Amtrak. In summer, the mosquitoes are mean and hungry because there aren't a whole lot of people around. Commit a gun crime and you're alone. In Yankton."

The line about the mosquitoes is my favorite. "Well, I was going to go on a murderous rampage, but I just can't stand being itchy."

1 comment:

DavidE said...

Yankton doesn't get a whole lot of respect on the HBO series 'Deadwood' either. A fowl mouthed drama but darned entertaining! They don't mention the skeeters but they do say '____ Yankton' a whole lot!