Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Get a haircut and get a real job

After months of denial, I finally admitted to myself that WCB needed a haircut. Desperately. The back of her hair is all cute little curls, but the front part was long and straight and hanging right into her eyes. She was starting to look like Sawyer on Lost.

I took her to a special hair salon for babies. Laugh if you must, but ... OK, I can't think of a way to finish that sentence. All of the chairs for the little kids are shaped like airplanes or cars, and each hair-cutting station has a TV screen and a DVD player so the kids can watch Elmo while their hair is being cut. The stylist tried to get WCB to sit in a little airplane, but she (WCB, not the stylist) panicked and clung to me like a little monkey. In the end, WCB and I both put on matching pink smocks, and she sat on my lap in a big-kid chair. We watched The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland and got the stylist to take some fun mother-daughter pictures. When it was over, we got a special "Baby's First Haircut" certificate with before and after photos and a baggie of her curls.

Now she has these sweet little bangs that go across her forehead. It reminds me a little of the hairdo that Hayley Mills had in The Parent Trap. I think she also looks way older. She could get a fake ID that says she's 18 months, and nobody would bat an eye. She could go into a store and buy whole milk for her 10-month-old cousin.

I can't show you the actual before and after photos, since I never publish photos of WCB, so you'll have to rely on these visual aids. They are surprisingly accurate.

Before:



After:

No comments: