Friday, June 09, 2006

Pot-smoking insects

WCB has a Fisher-Price car that plays music when she presses various buttons, turns the steering wheel, opens the trunk, or even just looks at it. Some of the songs have words, and they're sung in a very chipper woman's voice. The same chipper woman also says things like, "Driving is FUN! Vroom vroom!" or "Let's go for a ride! Ha ha!" WCB is in loooove with this car. If WCB had to choose between rescuing the car or her parents from a burning building, she would choose the car. Yesterday, the batteries ran out, the two of us experienced a very tense few minutes while Mommy ran to fetch the screwdriver.

I always wonder about the woman who is the voice of the car. Did she have childhood dreams of making it big as a singer? I picture her, the night of her high school graduation, boarding a Greyhound bus that will take her far from her dreary Midwestern hometown to the bright lights of Hollywood. She works two jobs waiting tables while attending audition after audition, experiencing heartbreak after heartbreak. Then, one night, as she sits eating her last packet of ramen noodles prepared on a hot plate, she gets the call that will change her life.

She's the voice of the Fisher-Price car.

After that, did she let her fame go to her head? Did she buy a mansion with a big pool and servants? Did her hometown boyfriend walk out on her, saying, "I don't understand you anymore! It used to be about the music!"

This is what I think about while I listen to "The wheels on the car go 'round and 'round!" fifty times a day.

Anyway. One of the non-lyric songs that the car plays repeatedly is "La Cucaracha". After listening to that one about fifty times, my mom and I today realized that we have no idea what the actual lyrics are, and my mom speaks Spanish. We decided to Google it.

Turns out it's about a cockroach that smokes pot.

La cucaracha, la cucaracha
Ya no puede caminar
Porque no tiene, porque le falta
Marijuana que fumar.

Translation:

The cockroach, the cockroach
Now he can't go traveling
Because he doesn't have, because he lacks
Marijuana to smoke.

I'm glad my child is getting some nice, wholesome entertainment. It's multi-cultural, too.

2 comments:

John Wagner said...

Oh my goodness! Cockroaches? Pot? Is that where the term 'roach' comes from? I will never be able to listen to La Cucaracha in the same way again. You have added to my continuing education. Thanks a lot! HA!

Lizard Eater said...

Remember that pretty little French ditty -- "Alouette, gentille alouette ..."?

Google them lyrics!