Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Larks and peanuts

In a previous post, I revealed that the song "La Cucaracha" is about a cockroach who smokes pot. I got a comment from Lizard Eater suggesting that I Google the French song "Alouette".

Turns out it's about ripping a tiny bird to pieces! Fun!

Alouette!
Gentille alouette!
Alouette!
Je te plumerai!
Je te plumerai la tete
Je te plumerai la tete
Et la tete
Et la tete
Alouette
Alouette
O-H-H-H...


Translation:

Lark!
Nice lark!
Lark!
I will pluck you
I will pluck your head
I will pluck your head
And your head
And your head
Lark
Lark
O-H-H-H ...

In the verses that follow you add more body parts to be plucked from the poor lark: eyes, neck, back, wings, tail, legs, and feet.

And it always sounded so cheerful.

Send me your favorite songs from your childhood. They can be classic songs, campfire songs, or songs such as, "Jingle bells, Batman smells ... "

One of my personal favorites was "Found a Peanut." I won't type out the lyrics here, because it can go on forEVER. Basically, the main character in the song finds a peanut and has a long series of misadventures including a major health crisis, death, an ascent into heaven, a descent into hell, and finally, the finding of yet another peanut. Apparently, the floor of hell is littered with peanuts.

All aspects of the human condition can be found in "Found a Peanut." Tonja, the girl who grew up across the street from me, liked to add in even more verses. Her version of "Found a Peanut" could go on for, quite possibly, days. It could become an epic tale spanning generations. She was brilliant at "Found a Peanut." She could still be singing it, for all I know. I haven't seen her in about 15 years.

Send me your songs. Watch out for peanuts. Finding one can only end in tragedy.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Hi! I'm a friend of your college roommate Rachel's...

I think I will stick with the version of Alouette that I always sing! I learned it in Elementary School:

Al and Etta
Both went out to get a
Basket full of jolly jelly beans
Jolly jelly beans of green (or insert color)
That's exactly what I mean (insert rhyme for color here)
Beans of green
Beans of green
Oh ohohoh

Karen's sister said...

So I was just going through all the songs we used to sing as kids and all I could think of was the very obnoxious:

"Glory glory Hallelujah!
Teacher hit me with a ruuuuuulah,
So I hit her on the butt
With a rotten coconut...
And teacher don't teach no more."

That used to drive the parents nuts because they were, well... both teachers.

Then suddenly I remembered some misheard lyrics that we sang as kids, that would probably better fit under your misheard lyrics posts, but eh, we can put them here. It was the old Oak Ridge Boys song, "Come on in, baby take your clothes off... come on in, baby take your clothes off..." We must have sung that all the way to Alaska and back.

Lizard Eater said...

To the tune of "A Four Leaf Clover":

I'm looking over
My dead dog Rover
That I ran over with the mower
One leg is missing
The other is gone
One leg is scattered
All over the lawn
No need explaining
The one remaining
Is plastered on my front door
I'm looking over
My dead dog Rover
That I ran over with the mower!

... wow. That's awful.