Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I'm a nice, solid cheddar

Former Kansas City Royals pitcher Moe Drabowsky just died of multiple myeloma. He was 70 years old.

Very sad, yes, but I have to admit, I have absolutely no idea who he was. I know nothing about baseball, let alone individual baseball players. Years ago, we were at a Royals game, and every time the announcer said "Mike Sweeney", I thought he was saying "my sweetie." As in, "Now batting ... my sweetie!" It seemed reasonable to me. Maybe it was some kind of inside joke. Maybe the announcer and one of the players had something going on. You never know. File this under "Sexy camel leg hair."

Where was I? Yes, Moe Drabowsky. As always, whenever anyone dies of multiple myeloma, it jumps off the page at me, and then I go off and Google and Google and Google. I found an article that was written several months ago that said he'd had myeloma for seven years. This is really good, considering that he was diagnosed in an advanced stage, and he said his bones looked like "Swiss cheese" at diagnosis.

After I read stuff like that, I always do a horrible, insensitive mental checklist establishing why I will fare better than the deceased:

1. He was much older than I am.
2. His bones looked like SWISS CHEESE!
3. When he was diagnosed seven years ago, they didn't have all of the treatments they have now.
4. Did I mention the Swiss cheese?
5. Swiss cheese, people!

I do not look like Swiss cheese. I'll be fine.

1 comment:

DavidE said...

Perhaps a fine Gouda? With a nice Chianti and some farva beans......