Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Broken-up mountain

I finally got around to watching Brokeback Mountain. I'm a little bit behind in my current-movie watching. Back in the Olden Times, Jay and I would go to a movie in the theater almost every week. We'd see all of the best-picture nominees before the Oscars. Those were the days. Of course, WCB is far more entertaining than any movie could ever be, but that doesn't change the fact that I haven't set foot in a movie theater in one year. We went to see Star Wars: Episode III for Father's Day last year ... and that's been it. Now Netflix is my only link to the movie world -- that and our subscription to Entertainment Weekly, which is the cruelest publication for new parents. "Look! Here's a weekly reminder of all of the new movies you can't go see, TV shows you don't have time to watch, and new books you can't afford! Ha ha ha!"

But back to Brokeback Mountain.

This is one of the best movies I have Netflicked in a long time, and also one of the most heartbreaking, rip-your-guts-out-and-stomp-on-them sad movies I've ever seen in my life. I've been completely broken up over it all day. I think I need to go lie down for a while and dream up my own alternate ending in which Jack and Ennis live happily ever after on their own little ranch. I'm not sure I can go on otherwise.

Thanks a lot, fictional characters! Thanks a lot!

No comments: