Thursday, May 18, 2006

Sue Bopparetta, meet Reverend Bluejeans

I got an excellent response to my request for misunderstood song lyrics. (Missed the original post? Check it out here).

One anonymous poster pointed me toward a book called 'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy by Gavin Edwards. It's a book filled with misunderstood song lyrics from the '60s through the '90s. I haven't seen the actual book, but some of the examples listed on Amazon.com just crack me up. My favorite is, "The ants are my friends; they're blowin' in the wind ..."

The same poster pointed out how tough it is to decipher most Elton John lyrics, which reminded me of an episode of Friends in which Phoebe believes the words to "Tiny Dancer" are actually "Hold me closer, Tony Danza ..."

Lizard Eater was brave enough to confess that she always thought Neil Diamond was singing about "Reverend Bluejeans."

"'Forever in Blue Jeans' came out at the time that *I* was watching Captain Kangaroo," she wrote. "Remember Mr. Green Jeans? And his friend ... the Reverend Blue Jeans, Babe."

Yes, I would think that Captain Kangaroo would have welcomed a religious influence, what with the way he was constantly being assaulted with ping-pong balls. That would eat away at anyone's soul.

Next, we have John W., who reminded us of the ever-popular "There's a bathroom on the right" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. The real words are "There's a bad moon on the rise," but nobody will ever, ever hear it in their heads that way. And this next one's my favorite, also from John:

"In the Christmas song, 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas', the lyric is 'Now bring me some figgy pudding,'", he wrote. "My grandson thought it was 'Now bring me some friggin' pudding.'"

HA HA HA!! Merry Friggin' Christmas!

And here's another popular one, brought to our attention by my college roommate Rachel:

"Okay, that song, 'Blinded by the light, revved up like a Deuce, another runner in the night' by Manfred Mann's Rare Earth Band?"she wrote. "I've always ALWAYS heard it as 'Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche... ' I took a poll in my living right now, and 2 out of 3 people heard the same thing! So I'm not crazy."

Just try to get it out of your heads for the next three days, people. Just try.

And this one, from an anonymous poster, just cracked me up:

"As a kid, I thought 'Smooth Operator' was 'Sue Bopparetta' - some girl's name," she/he wrote. "And I still hear it - had to sing it a couple of times to remember what the words REALLY were just now. 'Sue bopparetta.. Suuuuuuue Bopparetta....'"

Funny! And when I was a kid, I always thought that song was about a person who answered the phone. You know, someone who worked for Information and did a really good job -- a "smooth" job, if you will.

This next one comes from my husband. I totally forgot about this one. We used to laugh about it all the time in college:

"I remember the Smashing Pumpkins song that came out in the '90s... 'In spite of my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage,'" he wrote. "I spent one summer in college working with a guy who swore Billy Corgan actually sang, 'In spite of my rage, I'm still just a cat in braids!' I would think a cat with braids would have definitely have some rage to deal with."

Heh! And finally, this one comes from my friend DeAnna:

"To me, the Indigo Girls' song that goes, 'I wish I was a nomad, an Indian or saint ...' always sounded like, 'I wish I was a snowman ...'"

Yes! It does! There's another Indigo Girls song called "Down By the River", and I've never actually known the real lyrics, but it's always sounded like, "Down by the river ... I was shot by a baby ..."

That can't be right? Can it? I'm going to go Google that right now.

Thanks to everyone who left their comments. Have more? Keep 'em coming!

1 comment:

Lizard Eater said...

Okay, this made me remember some others I wrongly believed:

"You ain't nuthing but a hound dog, frying on your side."

"It's a hard egg, nothing but a hard egg ..."

"Oooh, I can't wait for you to ovulate ..." (Sexual Healing, Marvin Gaye)