Monday, May 22, 2006

Another song ruined!

I Googled that Indigo Girls song, "Down by the River." You know: The one I thought went, "Down by the river ... I was shot by a baby ..."

Turns out it really goes, "Down by the river ... I shot my baby ... dead ..."

What? And those Indigos always seemed like such peaceful gals.

The "dead" part is the most shocking part to me. They sing it really long and slow: "Deaaaaaaaaaad", so I always thought they were singing "Dowwwwwwwwn", as if to re-emphasize that, yes, they were still down by the river. It was either that or "Dammmmmn", which would be an appropriate response when one is shot by a baby.

But "dead"? Hmm. No. Never expected that. At least being shot by a baby conjures up a halfway comical image, like when Maggie Simpson shot Mr. Burns.

1 comment:

Lizard Eater said...

Isn't that a bummer, finding out the "right" words to some songs? There was this old country song my dad used to sing as, "I wish I was a teddy bear, just living on lovin', not going nowhere."

Real words: "I wish I was a teddy bear, NOT living or loving, not going nowhere."

Me, I like living on loving.